How much time do you have to spend in the sun to get enough vitamin D?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I am having vitamin D deficiency...can you t
ell me how to improve my vitamin D ...I mean to ask morning how much time I should be outdoor to get vitamin D naturally... what are the best times to get vitamin D naturally.
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding correction of Vitamin D deficiency and sun exposure

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

For vitamin D deficiency I would ideally suggest oral vitamin D supplement - 60000 IU once a week for 12 weeks (available as sachets) and thereafter 1000 IU per day in the form of tablet.
Since vitamin D is also naturally synthesized in the skin therefore adequate natural Vitamin D synthesis requires at least 15-30 minutes of sunexposure and the best time for vitamin D synthesis is between 11AM-2PM when UV B rays are the most intense. This can be followed along with supplemental vitamin D to correct the deficiency.

Follow-up: How much time do you have to spend in the sun to get enough vitamin D? 24 minutes later
can we do it in the morning 6am to 8am...I am allergic to sun after 11am it will be too hot... after 12 weeks of sachets how many days should I take 1000IU per day tablets.
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin D supplement

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Early morning there is not much UV B which is required for synthesis of Vitamin D. You may continue with 1000 IU of Vitamin D over long term. The daily recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of Vitamin D is 2000 IU specially if there is no or little sunexposure.

Follow-up: How much time do you have to spend in the sun to get enough vitamin D? 23 hours later
Thank you for your quick response...I am sending my vitamin D reports...I am planning to go in the sun after 11am also.... accordingly can you suggest me the prescription of medicines...how many sachets I need to take and how many tablets for how many days... after how many days I should go for testing. Thanks in advance.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding vitamin D supplement

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX I have viewed the attachment.

I suggest you to take a XXXXXXX of 60k IU of vitaminD every week with milk for 12 weeks. You may then take a repeat test after 12 weeks. Provided the level of Vitamin D is above 30ng/ml and if you can adjust to the changed lifestyle of sunexposure between 11AM-2PM there is no need to further supplement vitamin D. However, assuming no change in lifestyle, a tablet of VitaminD 500 - 1000 IU once daily may be continued indefinitely to avoid recurrent deficiency.