How do I get rid of gout fast?

Question
This is my first attack of gout. What can I so to lessen the pain
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I recommend that you go to an urgent care clinic as soon as possible to have the gout confirmed (other possible causes of gout type symptoms can be a septic arthritis of a joint (such as the big toe), so it's best for the inflammation to be checked by a doctor).

The sooner it is treated, the better chance there is for full resolution.

Treatment in a first gout attack depends on factors that include a person's kidney function. If kidney function is excellent, then choices for treatment include
NSAIDs (indomethacin or naproxen)
steroids (such as prednisone or others)
and in older folks, colchicine.

All of these, except the naproxen, are by prescription. Naproxen 500 mg twice a day. But Naproxen can be hard on the stomach and kidneys.

Colchicine is a very old treatment for gout and has been largely replaced by the other medications because it can cause diarrhea. But I have seen it work very quickly and well.

Dietary prevention of future attacks of gout that you might consider:
1. Cherries and cherry juice (you can try that right now as well, but best to get a first attack under control quickly with meds)
2. Increase vitamin C intake.
3. Coffee may be helpful, in moderation.
4. Decrease or discontinue alcohol, in particular, beer.

If you go in to urgent care, I have 2 recommendations:
1. At registration, ask for a real doctor, not a PA or NP.
2. Disease precautions: Don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth until after you've come home and washed your hands with soap for minimum of 1 minute. Alcohol wipe thing you used while there such as cell phone.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information to answer your question.