How can small white mites on the skin be treated as per the attached image?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have small, white mites on my skin. They are the size of a dot made with a pencil. At times they itch. I do have a photo of one on my face. What is the best treatment to eliminate them?

Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for Demodex mites on face

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.

Demodex folliculorum is one of the parasitic mites commonly infesting the face. The condition is known as Demodicosis.

I suggest you use either Permethrin 5%cream or ivermectin cream or metronidazole gel for Demodex mites. These are prescription products and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Follow-up: How can small white mites on the skin be treated as per the attached image? 16 hours later
Thank you for you quick response.

Is this condition contagious?
Can the mites be passed on to members of my family?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Demodex mites

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes. Demodex mites can be contagious to others in the family.