How can severe pain around the shoulder muscles be treated?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi Doctor,

From last one-two weeks, there is a severe pain in and around my right shoulder muscles (when i keep the shoulder in some positions like holding your hand straight (in the steering) during car travel, it increases more. it feels like some muscle or nerve is rubbing/pulling against each other during movement).

Some points are sore when i touch it (like the tricep muscle) and i am using volini spray currently which is giving temporary relief. What needs to be done to recover from it & approximately how long does it take to recover?

One possible culprit could be the recent flight travel, when i took heavy luggage for checking in & poor sleep postures in the airport lounges etc.

NOTE:

Need your advice

Mon, 28 May 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement.

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms that you have described, it seems to be Rotator cuff tendonitis or shoulder impingement syndrome which causes irritation and inflammation of the rotator cuff and the bursa when doing activity and hence pain.
It causes local swelling and tenderness in the front of the shoulder and initially it presents as minor pain but gradually it causes severe pain and loss of motion.

You need to get an MRI scan done which is a more sensitive test for soft tissue and muscular injuries. An Orthopedician is the best person to be consulted.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply hot compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.
A physical therapy program that focuses on establishing non-painful shoulder motion and strengthening of the shoulder muscles will also be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal