How can pain in the heel be treated?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am trying to figure out the source of my pain along the outside right heel, from the heel to the beginning of the arche, when I flex my foot it feels like a dry rubberband is cracking. not sure what tendon/ligament that might be and what I could do to fix it. I'm thinking flexing and pain is from tiny tear, and I don't want to keep re injuring the same spot. thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief answer:

Lack of elasticity of plantar fascia.

Detailed answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The pain on the outside of the heel that you have can be due to lack of elasticity in the plantar fascia. Regular massage, stretching exercises of the foot, hot compress and calcium supplements can help in decreasing the symptoms. Only an MRI scan can help in identifying the exact structure that is damaged.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon