Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

How can chronic coughing be treated despite being on antibiotics and steroids?

Sep 2017
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 13026 Questions
I have been coughing for about 2 months. I have been to family Doctor and he gave me antibiotics and steroids and stated that I should be better in about 4/5 days. That was 6 weeks ago. I do a lot of woodworking and one day did not wear a mask, and did a lot of sanding, breathing in a lot of dust, The coughing last from one minute to sometimes an hour, Can you help?
4 days ago in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get done chest x ray, PFT and HRCT thorax.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should definitely get done chest x ray, PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) and HRCT (high resolution CT) thorax to rule out bronchitis and Pulmonary fibrosis.
You have work place exposure which is known to cause bronchitis and fibrosis.
You are not improving with routine drugs.
So better to consult pulmonologist and discuss all these.
Please let me know if you already had these tests (chest x ray or PFT or HRCT thorax).
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor