How can chronic coughing be treated despite being on antibiotics and steroids?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I have been coughing for about 2 months. I have been to family Doctor and he gave me antibiotics and steroids and stated that I should be better in about 4/5 days. That was 6 weeks ago. I do a lot of woodworking and one day did not wear a mask, and did a lot of sanding, breathing in a lot of dust, The coughing last from one minute to sometimes an hour, Can you help?
Thanks
4 days ago in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get done chest x ray, PFT and HRCT thorax.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should definitely get done chest x ray, PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) and HRCT (high resolution CT) thorax to rule out bronchitis and Pulmonary fibrosis.
You have work place exposure which is known to cause bronchitis and fibrosis.
You are not improving with routine drugs.
So better to consult pulmonologist and discuss all these.
Please let me know if you already had these tests (chest x ray or PFT or HRCT thorax).
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.