How can breathlessness be treated while on Warfarin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I am having shortness of breath but I dont wan tto go to the hospital. I have a history of clots but am on Warfarin what can I do?
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am,

After going through your medical details, I would like to inform you since you are already on an anticoagulant with a history of a clot, so if the onset of breathlessness is sudden and not settling down then it's highly advisable that you should personally visit an ER.

As it's important to seek medical help to avoid any major consequences later on. Some necessary tests like PT/INR, ECG, Chest X-ray and an Echocardiography will be required to rule out any significant event which can be ongoing or is precipitating.

Please note, my purpose is not to scare you but to make you aware promptly in order to take the appropriate action.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu Partap