question-icon

How can an indention in the calf from an injury be treated?

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018
Question: I have an indention in my left calf I’ve had it about a yr now my dr has said it looks like it came from an injury. Years ago I fell down flight of stairs went head over could’ve killed myself so maybe then. I just don’t know. I have no pain it’s about 6-8 inches from my knee on the outside. It might be a little longer then it was.
I don’t know if it should be concerning.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Noted all the history you have provided and understood your concerns.

An indentation on the outside of left calf, 6-89 inches from knee on the outside, painless, already seen by a Doctor may be due to one of the following reasons:

Part of fibromyalgia post-traumatic representing as a band of tissues and felt by you as an indentation.

Herniation of muscle through a rent in its capsule.

Thrombosed fibrosed vein.

Since this is painless and already seen by your Doctor there may not be anything of a big concerns.

But to be on a safe side you can have the following investigations:

Ultrasonography and color doppler / MRI study with the Radiologist knowing what to look for can give an exact diagnosis and settle the concerns for ever.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. T Chandrakant, General Surgeon
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon