• question-icon

    How can a painful heel spur be treated?

Posted on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife has a heel spur which causes pain and swelling. If they have to do surgery to remove the spur what is the process. Do they use a laser or laparoscopic grind. Does it take long to heel.
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy is the best procedure for this problem. Other non endoscopic surgeries are also available. You can talk to your orthopedic surgeon to learn about each individual procedure that is available for your wife's condition and choose the one that is most appropriate for her. In 10 – 14 days the sutures are removed and the patient is allowed to bath the foot. It generally takes a minimum of three weeks before the patient is able to walk normally, with minimal discomfort.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12074 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Praveen Tayal
  • Q - Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?

  • Q - Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...

  • Q - MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...

  • Q - What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?

  • Q - Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?

  • Q - MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....

  • Q - MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest

  • Q - What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?

  • Q - Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...

  • Q - What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?