question-icon

How can a dry throat be treated during pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018
Question: hi,
i am months pregnant and Iam suffering from dry mouth/throat at nights. i wake mutiple times at night beacuse this and unable to sleep peacefully. I drink 2-3 liters of waters everyday.
I am not sure what esle do to, please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
dryness, sipping water, artificial salivary substitutes

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the dryness in the mouth and throat is concerned, it is common during pregnancy. Nothing to be panic, you have to keep sipping water, drink lot of water. Even after all these measures if you still have dryness, then you can take artificial salivary substitutes like carboxy methyl cellulose gel or mouth rinse, this will increase the salivary flow in your mouth.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. take care
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S (1 hour later)
do i need to apply this gel before going to bed at night??
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S (21 hours later)
Brief Answer:
before going to bed and when you feel dryness in the mouth

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.

You can apply this gel before going to bed and even when you feel your mouth is dry.

I hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery