How can a child be encouraged to empty their bladder or bowels?
I recommend positive reinforcement for each time he stays dry!
As a granny, I do understand how much worrisome this is to you. It is not uncommon in the growth of children to witness such lags or periods of regression.
The good news is that they often resolve spontaneously within a few weeks.
Being hard on the child doesn't help. It only makes the scenario worse.
I will encourage the parents to be patient with him, promise him a candy of something he loves each time he gets to empty the bladder/bowels without creating a mess.
This will help improve his performance.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
All of your helful suggestions have been tried and they motivate my grandson but he continues having "accidents" He told me today he didn't want to live anymore. I forgot to mention he is spanked for these accidents. I am about to loose my mind. Thank you again
Be calm. This will soon be resolved!
These are not uncommon observation along the growth path of children. This is often referred to as regression and they often grow out of it sooner than later.
Kindly exercise patience and keep encouraging him as he traverses this rather turbulent but transient period. Hope the parents are getting more patient with him as well.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bowel and bladder incontinence causes
- Bowel bladder fistula surgery
- Bowel and bladder dysfunction
- Bowel to bladder fistula symptoms
- Hole between bladder and bowel
- Bowel and bladder problems
- Bowel and bladder innervation
- Spinal fusion bladder bowel
- Bladder and bowel incontinence together
- Loss of bowel and bladder
- What causes enlarged heart?
- What causes spotting after having sex?
- Suggest side effects of Premarin
- Suggest treatment for recurrent urinary tract infection
- Can Wimpat,Keppra and Lamictal be taken when BP is high?
- When can orgasm be experienced after a total hystorectomy?
- Is tremination of pregnancy at after 26 weeks advisable?
- What causes swelling at the injection site?
- Suggest treatment for Angioma
- What causes chronic Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?