Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

How can I increase my height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My name is XXXXXXX I am 15 years old and my height is 156 cm.I had a bone age test and my bone age is 13 years.My thyroid and IGF are normal.I am really desperate to grow tall.I need some advice and want to know how much more I can grow.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 24 hours later
Brief Answer: no hormone can predict height, it needs to be norm Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. The ultimate height achieved by a person is mostly controlled by his genetics that is family constitution. Mostly children achieve the height of their parents or immediate grandparents; sometimes a child may resemble a distant ancester that is called atavism. Exact height guess work can not be done because there is lots of variability in the actual height gained by the children and are affect by myriad factors. Your bone is is of 13 years so you have good scope of growth but the bone age may grow by leaps and bounds anytime as compared to chronological age and there is hardly any scope of skeletal growth beyond age of 20 although this is also controlled by the genetic factors. Some families have a growth spurt at 14 years of age and cease by 18 years of age others may have a spurt later on and it may continue to the age of 20. But you can expect an average height of your parents resembling the particular gender. No medicine can boost your height and the things that can help in increasing height are good exercises and balanced diet. The maximum possible height will depend on your genetic constitution. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can I increase my height? 2 days later
So since my bone age is of 13 bones arent completely fused yet...dats what the doctors said.They are saying that i will grow naturally for a year or so but what do you say?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 36 hours later
Brief Answer: yes you will grow still Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back to Healthcare Magic. You will have normal growth for over a year time I think. It depends basically on the familial pattern of growth. Bone age may rapidly grow anytime, so it's only importance is to tell that the bony growth potential is open yet. I hope you will grow to satisfactory height.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can I increase my height? 10 hours later
The doctors told me that i have constitutional growth delay so that there are chances that i will grow.They told me to exercise well and also they are giving me a low dosage of growth hormone so i can reach a good height.What do you think about it?And i have gotton my bone age scan 10 days ago.Do you think my bone age can shoot up and be fused within another 10 days?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 days later
Brief Answer: Moderate doses of growth hormone regularly Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Welcome back. In constiyutional delay there is late onset of growth spurt, children look shorty for initial years but ultimately make the same height. So you have picked it late but have avenues to grow.Exercise and nutrition are good effective and handy options. The growth hormone in low doses is poor choice, to be effective it has to be given in at least 40microgms/kg/day for over a yaer. It can at best make a diiference of 1-1.5 inches in the ultimate height one will gain otherwise. Bony fusion do not take place in days or weeks but take months to years. I hope that ansers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor