Hong long do adverse effects of Amoxi-Clav last in the body?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi have been taking amox-clav 875 watery diarrhea started also red spots on upper chest area so stopped taking how long for system gets back to normal
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should take less than 12 hours for most to be eliminated

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The half life of a medication is the time it takes for the amount of medication in the body to decrease by half. It takes 3 to 5 half lives for the amount of medication in the body to be mostly eliminated.

The half life of amox-clav 875 is approximately 1 to 2 hours in most persons unless there is kidney disease, which slows down elimination.

This means that most of it should be gone from the body in 3 to 10 hours though there may still be minor residual side effects.

Using probiotics may help to restore your normal gastrointestinal tract by giving back the bacteria that should be in the gut.

You should let your doctor know about your reaction.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions