Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

History of vitiligo. Noticed discolouration of skin on same area. Can i take betnesol forte?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 345 Questions
I was suffering from VITILIGO in 1993.Get the treatment of Dr Gurmohan XXXXXXX BHU & cured in the year 1996.Now again i see the discolouration of skin on same area.Can u help me.Can i take betnesol forte for vitiligo treatment however i am taking drugs for throid is under control
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 14 hours later


Thanks for posting your query.

Vitiligo is a chronic condition and can keep recurring even after a few months or years. It is a difficult condition to treat. If the condition is progressing we do prescribe oral or topical steroids depending on the extent to stop the progression.

Taking betnesol forte is surely a line of treatment; however taking it on your own can give rise to serious side effects. It can be started and continued only under strict doctor's supervision. This is an oral steroid and can have side effects if not taken properly under medical supervision.

So though the treatment thought by you is right, do not start it on your own. Visit your local physician or a dermatologist and start them as per his / her guidance.

In the meantime, you can start application of placentrex gel thrice a day over the area. Tacrolimus ointment will also be useful.

Hope my recommendations will be useful. Please let me know if I can address any other concern.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor