Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

High cholesterol. Treating with supplements. Has high BP. Serious? Be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
my husband is 36 doesnt smoke.he had alittle bit high cholseterol due to family but treating it with supplements and seems to be doing pretty good but he checked his blood pressure and it is 127 over 90 is this considered high
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your primary concern.

The blood pressure reading what you have reported is mildly elevated. I would be more interested to see a long-term blood-pressure monitoring chart in order to really see what the average blood pressure is during the day

Ideally the top number should be no higher than 120 or 125. The bottom number should be below 80 if possible. Most people have some difficulty with achieving this goal but this is what is recommended by many medical authorities.

As far as what I would recommend at this point there are a few considerations. The first thing I would consider would be a mild degree of weight loss. If he can lose five or 6 pounds this might have a significant impact on his blood pressure. Also regular aerobic exercise five days per week will generally help to improve the blood pressure over a long period of time.

I want to reassure you that the blood pressure reading which you gave me is not worrisome or life-threatening. At the same time I think he should do everything possible to optimize his blood pressure.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you've found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor