Hi, my 6 year old daughter, who is autistic woke

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 6 year old daughter, who is autistic woke up yesterday with a limp. The right leg seems to be the affected leg. Saturday night, she had a bath and walked to her bedroom fine. On Sunday she went to church but had a noticeable limp. I spent some time yesterday moving the right leg around in various positions in order to try and pinpoint if it was a knee, ankle, or foot issue and even though she was limping it did not seem to hurt her. Over night she woke up in pain and it has seemed to gotten worse. Any ideas on what the problem might be.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Limp

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
Most cases of limp in kids this age are due to muscle strain, perhaps after one night in an awkward sleeping position. In the absence of a known injury, and because she is bearing weight on the leg and not reporting pain, a fracture is very unlikely. However, any child who has a limp that does not improve over a 24 - 48 hour period, should be examined by a doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad