Hi, My mother is 70 years old and has had
My mother is 70 years old and has had surgery(hemithyroidectomy) about 10 days ago. Since this morning she's feeling a burning sensation while urinating and is also unable to relieve herself completely.
Could you please advise something for immediate relief keeping in mind the above?
Please find detailed answer below.
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
I have read your query carefully. & in my view there are two possible causes for your mother's problem &the management would differ according to the cause.
- She must have been given antibiotic after the surgery... which could have caused destruction of useful bacteria (lactobacilli") in vagina&this has allowed fungal growth in vagina.. leading to itching /burning in urine with a bit of white discharge.
-If she has diabetes,the stress of surgery can alter blood sugar levels to cause itching. which can again lead to such complaint as she has.
- Lack of genital hygiene & cleanliness /drinking less water /catheterisation in post operative period .. can carry infection on urine causing burning.
*About home remedy for this is drink lot of water/observe good hygiene of genitals/apply over the counter candid vaginal creme in case there is itching &discharge/ manage normal blood sugar level.. in case she is diabetic/alkaline mixtures over the counter(like Citralka)taken 2 spoons with a glass of water after food will give relief.
*Please consult her treating physician for pin pointing the cause &offering cause specific medicine with needful antibiotic.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.In case you don't have any.. please grade the answer before you close the query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?
- Have high BP, cholesterol and low thyroid. Feel heart rate increases at...
- Having intense burning and noticed swelling in clitoris and labias after...
- Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain...
- Have severe facial flushing and rosacea. Going through menopause. What...
- Type-2 diabetic, constipated, having abdominal pain after bowel...
- What causes headaches?
- Suggest treatment for recurrent diarrhea
- Suggest treatment for foot infection
- What causes severe hair loss?