Hi, My mother is 70 years old and has had

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi,
My mother is 70 years old and has had surgery(hemithyroidectomy) about 10 days ago. Since this morning she's feeling a burning sensation while urinating and is also unable to relieve herself completely.
Could you please advise something for immediate relief keeping in mind the above?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Rechnamita,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
I have read your query carefully. & in my view there are two possible causes for your mother's problem &the management would differ according to the cause.
- She must have been given antibiotic after the surgery... which could have caused destruction of useful bacteria (lactobacilli") in vagina&this has allowed fungal growth in vagina.. leading to itching /burning in urine with a bit of white discharge.
-If she has diabetes,the stress of surgery can alter blood sugar levels to cause itching. which can again lead to such complaint as she has.
- Lack of genital hygiene & cleanliness /drinking less water /catheterisation in post operative period .. can carry infection on urine causing burning.
*About home remedy for this is drink lot of water/observe good hygiene of genitals/apply over the counter candid vaginal creme in case there is itching &discharge/ manage normal blood sugar level.. in case she is diabetic/alkaline mixtures over the counter(like Citralka)taken 2 spoons with a glass of water after food will give relief.
*Please consult her treating physician for pin pointing the cause &offering cause specific medicine with needful antibiotic.
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.In case you don't have any.. please grade the answer before you close the query.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng