Hi, My 13 year old son got a small fracture
My son is a sailor and has a big competition in 6 weeks. He is sailing twice a week in preparation. He is devastated at the prospect of not being able to sail in the run up to the event. As sailing is a non contact sport, although it involved pulling hard on the main sheet rope, he was wondering if it is imperative that he not sail through the whole 6 weeks. Are there significant risks with using the hand whilst the fracture is healing?
He should wait for at least three weeks.
Thanks for posting your query.
I have seen the attached X-ray. There is a small undisplaced fracture of growth plate. Doing movement of the finger now can displace the fragment. He has to wait for at least three weeks after which he can start with the practice after getting an X-ray done to confirm that the area is healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?