Hi I went to my pcp a moth ago with

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sun, 24 Mar 2019 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi I went to my pcp a moth ago with left pain around Lowe rib area into stomach I have been gagging/ throwing up for awhile now off in on especially in mornings my dr did blood work and a ct scan to check my gall bladder and pancrease nothing was found I am still not feeling well feel crazy because they have no ideas I don't know what to do if i eat I usually get sick
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Do you know what blood tests were done? Did you have a breath test for helicobacter pylori?

I am wondering if a trial of an H2 blocker such as Zantac (rantidine) 150 mg twice a day has been considered. Because the location you describe can be the pancreas, but it is also the location for part of the stomach. It's possible that this is gastritis or a peptic ulcer, which will not show up easily on a CT scan.

Zantac is a pretty safe medication (I would stay away from the proton pump inhibitors for now as they have more side effects) and it would be worth a try.

If that doesn't do the trick (it may take several days to start to see some improvement), then the next step would be a consult with a gastroenterologist (GI doctor) who will likely want to do an upper GI endoscopy (have a look at your esophagus, stomach, and part of the small intestines directly with a camera in a thin tube). That too can show things that a CT can't.

Eat smaller amounts at a time until you are better, so that the stomach isn't distended. Avoid caffeine, sodas, acidic foods (citrus, tomatoes), alcohol, peppermint, chocolate, and very spicy or greasy foods.

If you follow these recommendations and see no improvement at all in the next 2 weeks, then go to a GI doctor. You can make an appt. now if it takes a while to get in to see one, and then cancel if you are getting better.

If the dietary changes and ranitidine do start to help, continue with that for 4-6 weeks.

I hope this information helps. You are not crazy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad