Hi, I had incisional hernia gangrenous inside which caused small

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Lump
Question: Hi, I had incisional hernia gangrenous inside which caused small bowel obstruction jejunal loop, surgery carried out for resection of bowel, XXXXXXX defect closed. It is three weeks now, post operative uneventful, taking soft diet. Whether Hernia will occur again? When can I resume normal diect? Can I consume alcohol occasionally?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Greeen leafy vegetables and fibre foods need to be taken

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concern. You need to understand that hernia occurs when the abdominal contents bulge out through a weakness of the abdominal wall. The situation complicates when this herniating mass gets stuck and its blood flow gets blocked. This was the reason for the gangrenous bowel obstruction. Although a repair has been made, this would not shield you from further hernias occurring from other weaknesses involving other portions of the abdomen. Straining in any form (as in coughing, straining to pass stool, or lifting a heavy bucket or object) raises the abdominal pressure and makes you more likely to develop hernia. So, you need to modify your lifestyle so that the intraabdominal pressure remains ok and further hernia does not occur. If you deviate from this it is only a matter of time before the next hernia develops. You can resume normal diet but need to ensure a good fibre intake so that stool remains soft. I will discourage you from taking any amount of alcohol but the choice is yours and you know the risks.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D