Hi, I am a 62 year old man. My PSA
testosterone can be tested but not commonly done
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
It is understandable to be concerned re a surgical procedure.
In terms of hormones, the main hormone that one may think has the potential to influence PSA, would be testosterone.
In some men who receive testosterone replacement therapy there is a slight increase on a yearly basis.
A study released in 2017 and published in a journal called Current Urology confirmed that there is an association with this hormone (testosterone) and the PSA, though it is weak.
If your levels are very very high, then they may be impacting on the PSA results.
There are some new techniques that are currently being developed such as shear wave elastography (this is a new ultrasound technique), it is supposed to the helpful re diagnosis if changes in the prostate but it is a new technique.
The TURP, though invasive , may give the best indications of what is happening with the prostate but you can discuss your options with your doctor.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
it would have to be very large
If the prostate is very very large then it is possible.
In addition to the new ultrasound technique mentioned, there are also some very new blood tests that are being investigated.
Like the new ultrasound technique there are not routine as yet eg prostate specific membrane antigen, human glandular kallirein-2
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?