Hi Doctor. I had a sexual encounter today 31 December.

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Doctor. I had a sexual encounter today 31 December. while in the act, to he condom broke. i realised it after the act. Now i am a bit worried.. i want to take a HIV TEST TO BE SURE I HAVE NOT CAUGHT any STD. This worry is because i am not sure if the girl is safe f om HIV.. i want your suggestion on when i can take the HIV test, immediately or wait for a day or two. so that i get the right results. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have to wait for atleast 15 days to get reliable result.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of contracting HIV from single unprotected sex is very less specifically when the status of partner is unknown so don't get too much afraid or worried. The development of antibodies against HIV virus atleast take 15 days so you have to wait for 2 weeks to get reliable result. Calm down and go for 4th generation HIV Duos test to know your status. For any further query feel free to ask me again any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj