Hi Doc, I have a question regarding blood pressure meds.

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doc, I have a question regarding blood pressure meds. I was on valsartan and it cause me to wake up with palpitations every night. I started alodapine and my blood pressure has never been better. I understand valasartan protects the heart. I never had and issues but palpitations! just wondering do the alodaphine protects the heart the same as the valsartan and should I ask to be a switch back. how is your experience with alodapine vs valsartan. Thanks David Gusta
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern and I would like to tell you that both amlodipine and valsartan are equally good anti hypertensives.

Amlodipine is usually preffered in patients above 50yrs as it works better in that age group. However if the patient is diabetic then valsartan group of medicine is preferred as they have some better cardio protection than others.

If you don’t have diabetes then you can discuss this with your treating cardiologist and can continue with amlodipine.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj