Hello doctor, I was curious if I should be concerned

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello doctor,

I was curious if I should be concerned about a chest pain (right side of my chest) that appears only when I cough (no blood or sputum comes out), along with mild lightheadedness? I've had lightheadedness before (doctor told me I had non-allergic rhinitis), but when I cough, I feel a dull/sort of sharp pain in the center of my right lung/pectoralis area. Maybe it's sore from baseball practice (batting cages)?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems musculoskeletal

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.

Assuming that you haven't had this for too long and it's only been a few weeks, I don't see any reason to be concerned. The symptoms you describe suggest a musculoskeletal cause for the pain since it seems to be provoked by certain activities including coughing. It may be that the cartilage in between the ribs has become inflamed and irritated, possibly related to your batting. Pain also may be from something irritating your lungs or the lining surrounding your lungs, but the pain that you described it would not be consistent with anything related to your heart. Most likely it is something temporary and will go away with time. I would suggest taking an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to help with the pain, if it is bothering you.

Beyond that, if you can give me some more information I might be able to give more specific advice. How long have you had the cough? Are you otherwise feeling well? Any fevers? Do you feel the pain if you lift something or use your right arm?

Let me know if you have any other questions for me or if there's anything else I can help with.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj