Owl Image

Hello, do you know if a standard nasal cannula and

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello, do you know if a standard nasal cannula and a "simple" oxygen mask (one that covers the mouth and nose and HAS holes on both sides which are not covered by anything) are interchangeable? My dad is a mouth breather so we got him a mask to try instead of a nasal cannula but I want to make sure I dont have to make any other adjustments or that he will still be getting the same amount of oxygen. He's on 3LPM now.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, for mouth breathers, mask is good.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
For mouth breathers, oxygen mask is ideal.
So you can definitely switch to face mask instead of nasal cannula for your dad.
No need to worry for this.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.

Follow-up: Hello, do you know if a standard nasal cannula and 21 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Okay so just to be sure.. A "simple" mask, which covers the mouth and nose and HAS holes on both sides of the mask that are NOT covered by any disc or anything, is okay. (its the one in the picture I sent) . He will get the same amount of oxygen going into the mask as he would have with the cannulla, and hopefully he will inhale more of it because he is a mouth breather. That sound correct? And the CO2 will exit the holes that are built into the mask, is that correct? (So he won't get CO2 overdose etc.) He can leave the mask on the same amount as the cannula (except when he eats etc..).. is that right? Thank you again!!

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you are correct.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the image you have attached.
This is appropriate mask.
Yes, your understanding is correct.
And this mask will deliver same as nasal cannula, may be more because he is mouth breather.
And during eating, he can use nasal cannula.
Once eating is over switch back to mask.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.