Hello, can you safely take tryptophan with 600mg or lithium?

Question
Hello, can you safely take tryptophan with 600mg or lithium? Thank you
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Yes, this is a safe combination. You should be fine!

Dr. Sheppe

Follow-up: Hello, can you safely take tryptophan with 600mg or lithium? 54 minutes later
Hello Dr. Shepperd. I forgot to mention that I take 50mg of Seroquel for sleep. Can I still take the tryptophan?

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, this should be fine. There is a very very small increased risk of serotonin syndrome, but this is extremely rare and very unlikely here.

Dr. Sheppe

Follow-up: Hello, can you safely take tryptophan with 600mg or lithium? 30 hours later
Hello, I'm taking Lithium and had to get off of Remeron because of severe side effects. Now my brain (head) feels burning sensations. Can either one of these cause this? I have an appointment with my Dr and will talk to her about it. It really hurts and is scaring me... Thank you

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
I don't think either Remeron withdrawal nor lithium would cause this sensation, though Remeron withdrawal can sometimes cause weird sensations, admittedly. I would talk with your psychiatrist about this. In any event, if it is Remeron withdrawal, it is not dangerous, and should go away within a week or two.

Dr. Sheppe