Hello, I was wondering what would happen if I broke

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 13 Mar 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I was wondering what would happen if I broke my thumb/wrist joint, But couldnt have any repositioning of the bone for 2 weeks due to doctor availability.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it normally takes 4 to 8 weeks for healing to occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

A fracture of the hand can take 4 to 8 weeks to heal completely but at 2 weeks, some healing would have started.

New bone would have started within the first week of the fracture, over the next few weeks, this new bone hardens to try and maintain the positions of the bones involved. New bone normally forms around the broken areas to try to fix them together.

If the fracture is not displaced (the bones are aligned in the correct positions), then this is okay because the new bone would then cement the fractured bones back into the correct position.

If the bones are not aligned (not in the correct position), then it may mean that healing would have started into the incorrect position.
It is possible, since it is only two weeks then some treatment may be possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Would there be an increased possibility of issues (ie: mobility, pain, bone not healing in correct position) after healing was completed because of the delayed setting, compared to if the setting was done as soon as the injury happened ?
Brief Answer:
yes, there can be consequences

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes, if the bones are not aligned in the correct position then there can be problems with healing properly and also resulting mobility and pain consequences

If the bones are already in the correct position/aligned properly, then there may not be any issues at all because they would heal as they should.

Imaging of the area would show the degree of current repair and dictate further management