Hello. I am a 43 year old male in fairly

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello. I am a 43 year old male in fairly good health. I take atenolol for arrythmia and setraline. My problem is a constant sweet taste in my mouth for over a month. I have been checked for diabetes and have shown not to have it. If I eat something the taste goes away but after a time it returns. Any Ideas?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see detalied answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to Ask A Doctor service. Thanks for using this app. I have read your question and here is my advice.
There are many reasons for this alterred sense of taste .Yes diabetes and dental infection are common reasons but as you said these have been ruled out.
Causes other then these are certain things that may cause disturbance of the taste receptors.These include infection of the nose or flue /cold etc.
Infections in the ears may aslo cause the taste probelms. So if you have any such symptoms or suspision ;we advise to see an ENT specialist for this.
There are other possibilities like certain nutritional deficiency including zink, cupper .
Drugs may cause it , though it's not common with either the drugs that you take but still if you have started any new drugs recently.
So causes may be numerous but great thing is its not a very serious problem.I personally undertand you should see an ENT specialistand, and if it's ok from him , take some suppliments for some time and wait for some times .Hope it would settle .
Hope I have answered your question. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. kind Regards Dr Rahman. .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 2 hours later
I forgot to mention I had blood tests done too. My sodium level was 135. My past 3 blood sodium levels were all around 140. I mention this because I read that sweet taste and SIAHD have been a rare manifestation of lung cancer. Is a 135 sodium level cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's very unlikely to be SIADH .

Detailed Answer:
Hi ..
thanks for writing back to us .
Your concern is right that SiADH has an association with lung cancers .Howe'ver your sodium of 135 is too good .In SiADH the sodium level goes much low and is persitently low .Level of 135 is just the lower normal.And the fact that your sodium remained perfect few times earlier is quite enough to say that's it's extremely unlikely to be SIADH or any thi g related to lung cancer.
So I understand that it's quite re assuring. Don't worry about it .
Lung cancers produces much more symtpoms like
Prolong cough , blood with cough , significant weght loss , chest pain etc .And its great you don't have any such symptoms ,so nothing sounds serious .
Good luck .
Please don't hesitate to ask anything else you need to know.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng