question-icon

Hello. For the last year or so, I have been

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019
Question: Hello. For the last year or so, I have been getting a belly button infection every 2-3 months. My belly button bleeds. I get prescribed antibiotics, normally doxycycline, and they do the trick. But it keeps coming back. I finished a dose of doxycycline on Friday and my belly button started bleeding again today, Wednesday. This is the quickest it has started bleeding again. Doctors have not been able to figure out what kind of infection it is. I don’t know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It can be many things

Detailed Answer:
Hi Nfleisher89,

First of all I need to know your gender. Second, I need to know if the bleeding is cyclical every month or so, and if there is any associated pain? Do you have a photo of it? Have you had biopsies taken of your umbilical?

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen (6 hours later)
i am a male. it isnt exactly cyclical, it just happens every once in a while. i got a swab of my belly button blood taken 3 months ago and they took a culture of it. they said they didnt find any infection and it was just a wound. there is some associated discomfort. an occasional sharp pain, but it is mostly tender and occasionally itchy.
Brief Answer:
A photo would be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

It is difficult to say what it is without a photo. A biopsy would possibly also be helpful. Does it bother you a lot?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon