Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Having feminine voice problem from 10 years. Is there any solution? What surgery should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
I am having problem with my voice. My voice sounds more like feminine voice and the tone of my voice is very low. I am having this problem from past 10 years.
Is there any solution out there that will make my voice more masculine and high tone?
If surgery is required what would be the cost and effectiveness?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The condition that you have is known as Puberphonia. A feminine voice persists in a male after adolescence.

2. Most cases have no specific cause. Hypogonadism must be ruled out by an andologist or endocrinologist. Some of the causes for persistent puberphonia are emotional stress, psychogenic reasons, delayed development of secondary sexual characters and non-fusion of thyroid laminae.

3. Speech Therapy is the first option.

4. If speech therapy is not effective, an Issiki Type III Thyroplasty (Laryngeal Framework Surgery) which reduced the length of the vocal cored (and relaxes them) is done.

5. The cost will vary from hospital to hospital and depends upon the type of ward / room chosen by you. In a fully private setup you may have to pay close to a Rs. 1 lakh. The surgery is usually successful and effective.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having feminine voice problem from 10 years. Is there any solution? What surgery should be done? 30 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX for your valuable reply.

I am staying in bangalore and i decided to start with speech therapy. Can you suggest me good speech therapist to consult.

Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 40 hours later

Thank you for your query.

One of my chief audiologists (Mr. XXXXXXX Dubey) has recommended the Stammering Clinic 0000 JP Nagar Samvad Speech Clinic 0000 Hebbal Bangalore.

Wishing you good health,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor