Have swollen eyelid after mosquito bite. What to do?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My 8 month son got a mosqito bite on his eye lid yesterday since this morning and his eye lid is swollen and getting worst. his eye is completely shut now
What can I do or what can I put on it
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Following an insect bite it is very common for the eyelid to swell because of collection of fluid in the spaces of the eyelid. It takes 48-72 hours to subside.

You can apply ice packs to prevent further collection of fluid in the eye lid. You can also give your son an antihistaminic preparation like Syp. Benadryl 2 ml. three times a day to reduce the itching.

By tomorrow you will observe the swelling to reduce and the child will be partly opening his eyelid.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Is benedral safe for him to take at his age of 8month
And 3 times a day?
What else can I give him?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is safe to give Benadryl three times a day. You will not feel the need of giving it later as the swelling will start subsiding in the next 48-72 hours.

There is no need of giving anything else. You can apply ice packs to prevent further increase in swelling.

I hope I have responded to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing the query then do provide your feedback.