Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have movable, hard, nodule below the skin of the lips. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
Hi, I have a hard pea sized nodule that is below the skin that can be felt just outside below my right lip (1 cm below). It doesn't hurt and it disappears during the night and comes back during day. I've had for quite a few months. It moves with the skin when I rub it (not attached to bone or muscle). I can't feel it from inside.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The small swelling that you have described is likely to be related to a swollen skin gland due to allergy. Since the area around the lip has a good vascularity, a mild inflammation can cause a change in the size of the swelling.
Since the swelling is a painless one and regresses too, an infection is not likely. A direct examination by a dermatologist will help in proper diagnosis. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment in the area and see if it helps.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor