Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Have hematoma in hip. Getting severe pain. What treatment should be done?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My dad has a hematoma in his hip...he's eight years old. He's been in severe pain for 5 weeks and has finally been admitted to the hospital. They are trying to manage the pain so they can start pysiotherapy. Why won't they drain it??? The doctors say it's very dad has gone from walking with a walker when it first being totally immobile.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

The cause of haematoma in his hip seems to be related to myelodysplastic disorder.

MDS, or myelodysplastic syndromes, is a group of bone marrow diseases. In MDS the bone marrow is "injured", that is, loses its ability to produce normal cells of one or more of these types.The bone marrow’s failure to produce normal cells is a gradual process, and the elderly often succumb to other diseases before MDS takes its toll. It is possible, however, that in time the bone marrow will fail completely, making patients unable to fight infection or prevent bleeding.

There are some studies and they found that 98.11% individuals older than 60 who have myelodysplastic syndrome, experienced Haematoma.

On aspiration of haematoma there is further chance of bleeding. That is the reason his doctor won't drain it.

Hope this information helps you.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor