HI I have consumed two tablets of zandu parad. please

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Question
HI I have consumed two tablets of zandu parad. please advise if it is harmful or will have any effects.
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There was a very good answer to this

Detailed Answer:
on this site in 2013. They really need to take these off the market considering how many people accidentally take them!
The fatal dose of mercury is several times more than this. because unless it is specifically made to poison you (and this is NOT) then Only 2–10% of the ingested mercury is absorbed from the gut. If it is the
Charcoal and binders probably do nothing, if you can induce vomiting of the pill immediately then even less is in your system.

Heavy metal toxiicty poisons kidneys and nerves and is quite bad AND is due to either a dose that causes coma by now or by small doses over many many times (don't worry about it if you can read this!).

Ideally induce vomiting.
Consider immediately going to an emergency room because there are drugs that bind metal and suck it out of the body.

There was a famous poisoning where antibiotics were changed over to these pills and were used to poison someone, so they CAN be fatal if taken in a high enough dose.

Follow-up: HI I have consumed two tablets of zandu parad. please 5 hours later
I see red marks on my face and neck after consumption of zandu parad tablets, though I immediately vomited. Please advise if this something to worry

Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
some thoughts.

Detailed Answer:
If you vomited up the tablets, and it is 5 hours later you did not die from it.

Vomiting increases the pressure in the abdomen and chest. This changes pressure in small vessels and very frequently causes small vessels to slightly and temporarily burst. It also makes the other vessels temporarily change shape. I honestly cannot think of any serious consequence this could be describing.