Feeling tightness in knee and hurting. What to do?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: I woke up Thursday and my knee just didn't feel right it but Im on my knees a lot during the day. I went on to work .As the day progressed my knee felt like it was getting tight. by the time I got home and looked at it it was swollen and had a tight feeling. I am a plumber by trade and I don't remember hurting it but Im on my knees a lot during the day. could I have hurt it and not known when I hurt it.Im 56 years old. and concerned.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later
dear patient,

thanks for your health concerns. Given your description, it seems that you are having intraarticular swelling of the knee joint which could have many causes, including local infection, gout, and inflammation from structural damage. the first two seem a bit less likely given no systemic complaints and location. you are at increased risk of a meniscal or ligament damage given your career. My best advise would be to be evaluated by a family physician or an orthopedic specialist who can determine if there is fluid in the knee that has to be analyzed and determine the specific diagnosis and treatment

Hope this provides preliminary guidance, yours truly

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN