Elephant skin developed on feet, toes, ankles and have dry skin. Any thoughts?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'd like to know if there are any negatives if I only shower about once a month. I don't know why I dislike showering (probably because I need to add cleaning soap scum to my chores). Especially because when I do afterwards I think "boy, that felt good!".

I do give myself a "cowboy" bath almost daily, with a washcloth and soap to my underarms, private parts, my rear, behind my ears and the fold of skin under my stomach. I also wash my hair a couple times a week. I do not use deodorant and don't seem to sweat much. I've asked close friends if they detect any odor from me and they say no. I also wash my clothes frequently. I am single, so the only time I shower it seems that it's before I know I will be having sex that day. Ok yeah, once a month, believe me it hurts me more than it does you.

Surprisingly, even without showering at this time of year I find myself with dry skin. I get small red "pimples" from scratching. I've even checked my bed for bedbugs since there seems to be an epidemic in my area (NYC suburbs).

I've also noticed that I've developed what I call "elephant" skin on the top of my feet, between my toes, and around my ankles. Very hard, thick, and rough skin.

I've read that many people also have the same aversion to showering. Especially people who are aging. I've also read that the French and certain people (like the Eskimos) that live in areas were water is not accessible. Also throughout history in the past.

Your thoughts?
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

I will give you my opinion!

The positives first to mention are:

1-You feel fresh after a bath as you yourself have mentioned!
This feeling can only be experienced , can not be explained!!!!
2- the harmful bacteria like staphylococci which stay on the skin are removed.
Your small pimples may be one of such infections!
3- the time taken for wiping the body ( your cowboy bath!)will be more than a quick ordinary bath!!

Anything is a habit!
Once you start on regular baths ,you will miss them!!!

For your dry skin you can apply moisteurisers and oil based soap
Moisteurising soap.

All the best

Dr Uma