Does recurrent clogged pore in labia area indicate STD?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have recurrent clogged pore in the labia area. They appear every few months to years. When squeezed, something like a small popcorn kernel comes out. No blood or pus is present. What is this? Is this symptomatic of STDs?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
?? Folliculitis; nothing to do with STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Based on the provided location, it does sound like this could be due to an infected hair follicle. It would help if you could provide an image of the affected region (if present, and if you are comfortable doing so), you can attach the same to our discussion here.

But with the provided information it does sound like folliculitis which is common in areas like the pubic region, back, inner thighs, etc. These appear either due to continuous friction from clothing, in areas where sweat and dirt usually accumulate, or in regions where we shave.

This is nothing to worry about, and is usually self-resolving. You can promote its healing by applying warm compresses to the region and even taking sits baths with epsom salt 2-3 times a day. Other than this, nothing much is required to treat them.

These (if folliculitis) are absolutely nothing related to sexual contact or sexually transmitted infections ma'am. So please do not worry about the same, and if you are not comfortable providing an image, I would appreciate if you could describe the exact location more precisely and also let me know if this appears around the time after shaving the region, etc.?

I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.