Does checking BP in morning after drinking coffee affect the reading?

General Surgeon
Question
Should I be checking my blood pressure first thing in the morning after drinking coffee? Does it affect the reading?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes it is likely to affect bp reading

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

yes checking bp after having coffee likely to affect the reading.

Upto 30mins of having coffee there may be transient increase in blood pressure. So i usually advice my patients to measure bp immediately after waking up in morning before having tea or coffee. And always fix the same time to check.

Lowest bp in the day will be immediately after waking up in the morning. After that 30%variation through out the day is seen.

Hope I have been helpful .

Dr.Deepika Patil