Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

166 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Does a raised vein like appearance on the penis require immediate attention?

Answered by
Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 10217 Questions

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Men's Health
Question: I submitted this question the last night and got an answer from Dr.Berger-Dumbaugh but she suggested resubmitting to a urologist. I have an appointment with a urologist locally but it is not until January 8. My general doctor is out of town and referred to the ER for any issues.

I have a raised, somewhat squishy area on my penis, the top right side just below the head. It doesn't feel hard and is not painful. Urination and erections are not a problem. It can be seen and felt when flaccid. It looks more white than blue to me but it does look like a vein. Dr. Berger-Dumbaugh thought it look more bluish than white.

I had wondered if it was lymphangloscelrosis but Dr. Berger-Dumbaugh suggested it could be a thrombosis on the dorsal vein on the penis. I do suffer from varicose veins in my legs if that is helpful.

Is this an emergency? Can it wait until my urology appointment in January? Should I have avoid any sexual activity? Is there anything I can do for it?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
see next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

It looks to me like varicose vein, and such prominent veins are commonly seen at dorsal side of penis and it may occur suddenly or over several weeks and months. If there is no pain, redness, penis discharge or changes of penis head then I dont see why should this be an emergency. So if there is only estetic concern then you can wait to see urologist. I am not sure if urologist can do something urgent. ALso, this condition has no adverse health effects and sometimes it may pull back spontaneously. If not, then, sclerotherapy or laser treatment may be considered.
You can have intercourse as long as there is no pain and you may use lubrucants if pain occur. If other symptoms occur that I mentioned above, you should see doctor as soon as possible. WIsh you good health. Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on