Does a pacemaker need to be replaced after it's battery has been exhausted?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: Patient History -

In 2007, Patient was falling unconscious while walking and it was diagnosed that BP was suddenly falling very low and Doctor had implanted combo device pacemaker of St. Jute after all the diagnosis and test.
After 5 years, in 2012, a device of same brand and specification was again implanted because the battery of former packemaker was exhausted.
Last month, XXXXXXX 2018, Patient was having problem in viewing things and it was diagnosed that blood clot has come across retina that's affecting the visibility and Patient was advised to see cardiologist.
I have attached all the reports.

Question-

Does the Patient really need to implant new pacemaker since battery of implanted pacemaker is already exhausted.
As per soome cardiologist, Heart pumping percentage is already more than 50% and patient can avoid implantation of new pacemaker.

Please advise.

Appreciate your help!
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Yes he needs a pacemaker

Detailed Answer:

I can see from the report you have attached he is actually pacemaker dependent.

His pulse at rate 64 bom is paced.

I would recommend you to get an ECG done with a magnet on a pacemaker to see the actual rhythm.

He definitely does not need a CRT -D. His heart function is good so CRT -D is out of the question.

All he can need is a simple pacemaker.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Sameer Maheshwari, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng