question-icon

Does Indomethacin interact with Probenecid?

Posted on Thu, 23 Feb 2017
Question: I just took 500 mg of probenecid and have a prescription for 25 mg indomethacin how long should I wait to start the indomethacin?
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
After about 1 hour.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

First thing I want to clear you is that excretion of indomethacin drugs from your body is reduce by probenecid, as probenecid increases its (indomethacin) concentration ( in your body) and prolonging its (indomethacin) effects.

Above explanation I always give to my patients, so that they cannot take indomethacin immediately and in excess dose, especially with probenecid.

I usually advise my patients to have probenecid with indomethacin as less dose of indomethacin is required in that case.

So, I advise you to have indomethacin after 1 hour and in dose strictly prescribed by you doctor.

I hope you have got your answer.

Thanks,

DR.CAHDNER XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon