Does Aggrenox interact with Eliquis?

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was taking Aggrenox but developed a blood clot or clots. In the hospital they prescribed Eliquis. I stopped taking Aggrenox, now I'm not sure whether or not I should still be taking Aggrenox or not Thank You for your reply
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't use aggrenox with eliquis together unless your doctor said you can

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Eliquis is a very good drug for treatment of clots and generally after the episode of clotting is controlled than the drug should be continues further for a length of time that depends on where the clots happened.
Aggrenox might also be used for prevention of clots but is not as effective as Eliquis.

You will need to follow the instructions of your doctor on how long Eliquil should be taken as this is very specific depending on the location of the clots. Please do not do any changes on medication dose without consulting your doctor as this might put you in high risk of bleeding if you increase the dose or clots if you decrease the dose.

Use of other medications should be with caution as there might be interactions so please ask your doctor before taking any other drugs with Eliquis.
If you take Eliquis, you should not take aggrenox with it, unless your doctor has recommended so. Please do not take it if not clearly recommended as it might highly increase risk of bleeding if used together.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to write me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj