Do worms in food cause problems in fetus during pregnancy?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello. I am over 19 weeks pregnant and whilst eating dried prunes I noticed a small worm. The worm was alive, small (length of a small fingernail) and see through. I have eaten a few of these prunes over the last few days. It looks like it fed through some of these prunes. I'm really worried, will eating one of these harm the foetus or eating one which the worm may have left droppings?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will not affect the fetus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

There is definitely no cause for concern.
The worms ate likely to be maggots. They will be destroyed by Hydrochloric acid of stomach and will not be absorbed. It is no way going to affect the fetus.
Wishing you a safe pregnancy.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh