question-icon

Did PT and after standing pain in knee back side

Posted on Wed, 27 Mar 2019
Question: Did PT and after standing pain in knee back side of knee is bruised. Also dr did x ray and found a previous fracture which I did not know about. What do I do to relieve the pain so I can continue Pt?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (7 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No PT till knee is painless and bruise is stable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have read your question .
There has to be a cause for fresh bruise in the post part of knee - it could be related to sprain in the posterior muscles like hamstrings. The diagnosis will be clear only after MRI which I would recommend after about 2 weeks of injury , if there is no improvement,
With a bruise and pain I would not recommend any PT exercises. You can resume PT only after the pain has subsided and bruise is stable.
You can start mild pain killers and a knee support to ease the pain- any PT will only aggravate the pain.
Thanks for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon