Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Constantly discharging fistula after a surgery for perforated bowels. Need another surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
my wife had surgery for a perferated bowels,last oct,. since then it as not completly healed, it is constantly oozing.I was told she as a fiscular. can it heal on its own ,or she as to be operated on again?
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A fistula that is constantly discharging is not likely to heal on its own. If the infection is controlled properly and it stops oozing completely then spontaneous healing may take place. But from a gut tissue, it is difficult to stop the oozing completely.
To have a better quality of life, surgical removal of the fistula is the best option. You can discuss it with your surgeon.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor