Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Child with small bulge like swelling near belly button. What can be done to cure it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
Hi Doctor,
My newborn girl is 6 weeks old & she is healthy with normal growth. Suddenly today my wife observed a small bulge or lump like swelling near baby's belly button. Also the baby has been cranky today & has cried whenever we put her down on bed. Is this swelling anything serious and what can be done to cure it.
Many thanks
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its preoccupying in the child s general outlook is changing, especially if she is crying , ill looking and all these in a context of this swelling.

Its appropriate to get her examined by her physician to ascertain the actual nature of the mass you describe. It would be important to check if this this mass on its own is tender or looks inflamed. A general examination of the baby's abdomen could give an orientation. It s good the baby s temperature is normal, but monitoring it could be very useful.

I strongly suggest you get her consulted by her family physician or pediatrician, considering her age to avoid any complications if any. Depending on the results of the clinical examination, your doctor shall decide on whether to prescribe further tests or not.

Feel free asking further questions if need be. Wishing you the best of health.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor