Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Child having round bump below ribs and in the center of upper stomach region. Should I seek medical attention?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
My son has a two inch, round bump below his ribs, in the center of his upper stomach region. He has the chills, has a temperature of 96.8 and has felt weak and nauseated for two days. Should I take him to the ER? If not, I will take him to see his pediatrician tomorrow morning. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please take him to the ER

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Please measure the temperature with a different thermometer if it is available. You may also try measuring the temperature on another individual. If the thermometer is proved to be right then definitely you should take your kid to ER.

How long did you notice he round bump there. From the description provided I feel it should be the bony part of lower part of the sternum. A physical examination is required to confirm the same.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Take care.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor