Owl Image

Child has seizures. Giving varparin 200mg and normabrain. How long should I continue medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
My 4 years kid XXXXXXX experienced seizures on a few occasions six months ago. It was in the early morning after he woke up, his head involuntarily dropped for two three seconds repeatedly while he rolled his eyes upward. Also on two occasions suddenly he fell on the ground and didn't rise on his own. We consulted neurologist. And MRI of brain and EEG was done. EEG was abnormal. He prescribed VARPARIN 200 mg to be taken 2.5 ml twice a day. After two months it was increased to 3 ml twice daily. After 6 months NORMABRAIN was prescribed to be taken 2.5 ml daily twice. We request you to clarify us for how long medicines are to be used. And EEG alone can be relied to start medicines.
Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting your query.

The diagnosis of epilepsy is a clinical one, which means, we can diagnose it on the basis of symptoms. The description you have provided, points to a diagnosis of epilepsy.

MRI brain is done to exclude any underlying defect in brain, which can cause epilepsy. Normal MRI in your child is a good news.

EEG can help in deciding the type of epilepsy (from which parts of brain epilepsy is originating).

Valparin (sodium valproate) is a safe and effective medicine for epilepsy. It is required for at least three years.

Normabrain is a tonic and can be stopped any time.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad