question-icon

Can you take a probiotic without recommendation for a long time period?

Posted on Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Question: Is it beneficial to take probiotics. If so, what is the appropriate quantity to take for preventive purposes? Can I get it through supplements ? if so which would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Probiotics with indication

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Probiotics can be prescribed if there is a specific indiaction such as restoration of intestinal flora after antibiotics treatment or prevention of vulvovaginal candidiasis.

If gastroenteritis was treated and the diarrhea persists then Probiotics can be advised.

Taking it regularly on a long term without any indication is not recommended.

Let me know if you have any query

wishing you best of health

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil