Can someone please explain to me what this is? This
Please attach the image.
Hi , welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
We would be looking in to your probelm to guide you properly but please attach the image of what yor are concerned about .
There's are quite a few possibilities, that would be only better recognised by looking at the lesion.
Looking forward for your reply .
Kind Regards Dr Rahman
It looks herpetic whitlow ( infection caused by herpes virus )
Hello and thank you for sharing the images.
The lesion looks very typical of a herpetic whitlow.This is an infection of the finger tip caused by herpes virus .Infact it's important to defrentiate it from bacterial infection of the pulp but the self resolution and the reurrence is a telltale of herpes virus ifection .The whitish signs you mentioned is the herpetic vesicles, another sign of herpes .
Herpetic whitlow may be caused by type 1 or type 2 herpes virus .The virus may be taken from oral cavity ( type 1 moslty ) or genetelia ( type 2 ) .
Its course is that like most of viruses it resolves itself in 2 to 3 weeks However in one fourth to half of patients this reoccurs.
Though it may not need any treatment but if recurrent we generally use anti viral drugs like acyclovir or foscarnet which have been shown to be effective in prevention of recurrence besides hasting the healing .
So you may talk to your doctor for a prescription of anti viral after looking at the lesions.
Hope this help you understand your probelm. Please feel free to ask anything else you need to know.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol